Age 16-17 living in semi-independent accommodation (eligible)

See what financial support you are entitled to.


Cost of accommodation - The council will pay for rent and support. You may have to make a contribution to the service charge which is under £10 per week.


Travel costs to college (16 plus hours) - Your 16-19 grant from college should cover this. An Oyster card is given and payment is based on attendance.

Travel costs to college (up to 16 hours) - The council will pay for this through an Oyster card.

Travel costs to first employment - The council will pay for your first 4 weeks through an Oyster card.

Education and university

Equipment for college or university - Your 16-19 grant from college should cover this, based on your attendance.

Personal identity

Passport and birth certificate costs - The council will pay for this.

Immigration, citizenship, asylum costs - An assessment will be undertaken by your personal advisor to see who will pay. The council will support and resolve.

Maintenance (e.g. clothing, pocket money, leisure)

Weekly maintenance - Yes. The council will pay for this at the current job seekers allowance rate

Savings scheme - Savings would cease. You're entitled to access savings on your 18th birthday.

Clothing allowance - Yes. £200 in summer and £200 in winter.

Clothing for work and interviews - The council will pay up to £100 if Suited & Booted cannot help.

Money for your birthday or festivals - Yes £60. At the same cost as when in foster care paid by your semi-independent provider.

Specific situations

In custody or prison - The council will pay £10 per week whilst you are on remand. The prison will pay £10 per week if you are sentenced.

Help if you are pregnant - £200 payable after you are 6 months pregnant in addition to benefits.