Housing and independent living

Most of us look forward to having more independence and eventually moving on to our own accommodation. But it can also be a hard time for young people, so it’s important to be well prepared for such a move.

Your social worker or personal advisor are available to discuss the best housing options for you. They can also help you to access courses to build skills and confidence in living independently.

If you decide on getting your own place, your personal advisor can help you to:

  • apply for priority status housing in Lambeth - get a bidding number and bid for a property. You must be a former relevant care leaver, aged 18-21, and have British citizenship or 'leave to remain' status.
  • get help with paying your Council Tax - until you are 25 years old.
  • access the setting up home allowance - where you can get up to £2000 from the council to help you buy essential things when moving into your own home.
Housing options

Learn about the different types of accommodation available to you and how to apply for them.

Driving Project

Get free driving lessons from the Rees Foundation and make a difference to living independently.

Financial help

Get help towards the cost of accommodation and setting up your new home.