Lambeth Autism Advisory Service gives advice, support and training to schools and families. We help them meet the needs of children and young people with autism. We work with any child already diagnosed with autism or on an assessment waiting list.
Our team of specialist teachers are trained to use methods like TEACCH, Attention Autism, SCERTS, Social Stories. We promote AET National Autism Standards across schools, and support regular evaluation of effective, inclusive practice.
We work with
- Parents and carers
- Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Coordinators (SENDCOs) and other school staff
- Educational Psychologists (EP), Speech and Language Therapists (SLTs), Occupational Therapists (OTs)
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)
- Children’s Services staff
Support for parents and carers
We run NAS Early Bird Plus and Teen Life courses for parents during school term-time.
We also hold monthly drop-in parents' support groups and workshops. They are held online and in mainstream schools across Lambeth. Parents and carers can:
- meet other parents of children and young people with autism
- share experiences
- discuss strategies and share ideas with both parents and professionals
Find out what is coming up this school year on this flyer
We also support schools to hold their own coffee mornings to help parents meet, talk and share their experiences.
Support for schools
We work closely with Lambeth primary schools to create inclusive and autism-friendly learning environments. We also offer training to Lambeth secondary schools.
Our support allows schools to help children and young people reach their full academic and social potential and become more independent. We help school staff understand autism better and use the best practice
The local authority funds the service. Every school is offered an agreed level of monitoring and support.
- training and workshops across the school year for primary school staff
- advice and modelling of resources and interventions
- tailored in-school training from their advisory teacher
Secondary schools can buy in the service. They can arrange staff training and individual consultations via the Lambeth Schools Services website.
Support for other professionals
We work with other Lambeth professionals, like EPs, SLTs, OTs, health professionals and social care practitioners. This helps make sure children get the best all round support and make good progress. This support is usually started by the school SENDCO once a referral has been made.
Telephone: 07849 079 140
Lambeth Autism Advisory Service
London Borough of Lambeth
PO Box 734