Post-16 school and college in Lambeth

When you reach 16 years old, you can choose to stay at your current school if it has a sixth form and can offer you the right courses. You can choose to go to another school sixth form or a sixth form college. You can also choose a further education (FE) college.

Most of Lambeth's secondary schools have sixth forms. You can find out about them using the Family Information Directory.

In Lambeth, our local FE college is Lambeth College. The college offers a range of courses that may meet your needs.

Programmes are offered that have been specially created for young people with SEND, in order to provide pathways to employment, independence and being a full member of the community.

Other programmes offer the opportunity for young people with SEND to be included with appropriate support to promote success.

Post-16 special education in Lambeth

There are four special schools and four mainstream schools with specialist resource bases in Lambeth that provide post-16 education for young people with special educational needs and disabilities.

Post-16 special schools in Lambeth

  • Lansdowne School - for young people aged 16-18 with learning difficulties with an associated autistic spectrum disorder (ASD).
  • The Michael Tippett School - for young people aged 16-18 with severe learning difficulties and profound and multiple learning difficulties.
  • The Michael Tippett College - a college for young people aged 19-25 with severe learning difficulties and profound and multiple learning difficulties.
  • Turney School - for students aged 16-18 with autism and complex learning difficulties.
  • The Vanguard School - The National Autistic Society’s Vanguard School was set to open its doors to students on the autism spectrum in Lambeth and neighbouring boroughs in 2019.

Mainstream schools with resource bases for 16 to 18 year-olds

Education and training providers outside of Lambeth

There are also some other specialist education and training providers not in Lambeth, but based in nearby areas.

These include:

Natspec (The Association of National Specialist Colleges) have a list of specialist colleges on their website where you can search for the college that will best help you meet your goals.

Travelling to college

Children and young people up to 19 years old with an education, health and care plan, or a statement of special educational needs, can get help travelling to college from the SEND Transport Service.

Oyster cards

If you don't have a disabled persons' Freedom Pass, you can get a 16+ Zip Oyster photocard or an 18+ Student Oyster photocard to get discounts and free travel on TfL and other rail services in London.

Find out more about:

Download our 16-19 SEND transport policy