Employ Me is a programme that helps young people with SEND get employability support, training, jobs, traineeships or apprenticeships. It’s for people aged 16 to 24 who are not in education, employment or training (NEET).
Support could be:
- careers information, advice and guidance
- taster days and work experience
- one-to-one and group support from an employment coach
- help finding the right course, traineeship or apprenticeship
- taster days with our social enterprises and employers
- help with interview travel expenses and clothing
Traineeships give young people the skills and work experience that employers are looking for.
Traineeships can last up to six months and include:
- help with English and maths
- work experience in a work placement
Who can do a traineeship?
You can do a traineeship if you:
- are unemployed or working less than 16 hours per week
- have little or no work experience and are motivated to work
- are 16-24 years old and your qualifications are below Level 3 (A Levels, for example)
- are aged 16-25 and you have a learning disability.
You may be ready for an apprenticeship if you already have some work experience.
You won’t be paid while you’re on a traineeship, but you can claim Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) if you’re 19-23 years old. You can also apply for an Access to Work grant if you’re 16-24 years old and you have a disability or health condition.
Apprenticeships are real jobs with training so you can earn while you learn and pick up valuable and recognised qualifications.
If you’re 16 years old or older and not in full time education, an apprenticeship can offer you:
- a salary from day one
- paid holidays
- training and qualifications
- job-specific skills
- work alongside experienced staff.
Lambeth Working’s apprenticeship coordinator can help you access local apprenticeship opportunities, so please call us on 020 7926 5966 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also find apprenticeships on GOV.UK.
Apprenticeship Oyster photocards
If you don't have a disabled persons' Freedom Pass, you may be able to get an Apprentice Oyster photocard.
To be eligible, you must:
- be aged 18 or over
- live in a London borough
- be enrolled on an apprenticeship with a further education college or training organisation for a minimum of 12 months
- be in the first 12 months of your apprenticeship.
Find out more about Apprenticeship Oyster photocards.