Apply for a premises licence

A premises licence is a permanent licence granted in respect of a specific location. It authorises the licence holder to carry on a combination of licensable activities.

Designated premises supervisor

Every premises licence that allows the supply of alcohol is required to specify an individual as the designated premises supervisor (DPS). The DPS will usually be the person in day-to-day control of the premises and must hold a licence to sell alcohol. The DPS also authorises other members of staff to sell alcohol.

If the individual specified as the DPS stops working at the premises, it will be necessary to apply to change the DPS's details.

  • The current premises licence holder must apply for the variation.
  • The nominated DPS must complete a consent form.
  • The leaving DPS must complete the request to be removed.

How to apply to change the DPS details

Alcohol cannot be sold from the premises if there is no DPS listed on the licence.

Some 'community premises' are able to apply to remove the requirement to specify a DPS on their licence. The premises must satisfy several conditions in order to remove the requirement, and an application must be granted before the change can be made.

Please contact us for further details, or to discuss whether a particular premises is eligible to remove this requirement.

Contact the Licensing Team