Apply to change or remove the need for a designated premises supervisor (DPS)

Every premises licence that allows the supply of alcohol is required to specify an individual as the designated premises supervisor (DPS). Some community premises can also remove the need for a DPS.

If your designated premises supervisor (DPS) no longer works at the premises, the premises licence holder will need to apply for a licence variation to specify someone new.

The DPS must hold a personal licence, and will usually be the person in day-to-day control of the premises who authorises other members of staff to sell alcohol.

Alcohol cannot be sold from the premises if there is no DPS listed on the licence.

Who can use this service?

  • The current premises licence holder must apply for the variation.
  • The nominated DPS must complete the consent form.
  • The leaving DPS must complete the request to be removed.

Apply to remove the need for a DPS

Some community premises can apply to remove the need for a DPS on their licence.

The premises must satisfy several conditions in order to remove the requirement, and an application must be granted before the change can be made.

For further details, or to discuss if a premises is likely to be eligible to remove this requirement contact the Licensing Team.

What you need to know...

You will need to download, complete and sign a DPS consent form and have it ready to upload when you apply to change your designated premises supervisor (DPS).

Costs for this service

There is a £23 fee.

Do it online

Change a designated premises supervisor (DPS)

Next steps

When you have submitted your application, notify the licensing police at Please provide:

  • your full name
  • your date of birth
  • your place of birth
  • the name of premises
  • the type of application you have submitted.