Apply for a personal licence to sell alcohol

A personal licence allows individuals to supply alcohol where a premises licence or a temporary event notice is in force.

How to apply for a personal licence to sell alcohol

Personal Licence applications can only be made by people who have successfully completed an accredited qualification. Five courses are currently accredited:

  • BIIAB Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders
  • EDI Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders
  • HABC Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders
  • NCFE Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders
  • SQA Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders

Costs for this service

There is an application fee of £37 to register to sell alcohol. Please include payment (no cash payment) with your application form. Cheques must be made payable to the London Borough of Lambeth or online under other Licensing via

What you need to know...

A personal licence can be used anywhere in England or Wales and it is not necessary to obtain licences from every local authority in whose area you intend to work.

Scotland has separate licensing laws and English personal licences are not valid for use there, and vice versa.

Before sending your application to us, please ensure that you have enclosed:

  • the payment of the application fee
  • two passport photos, one of which has been endorsed by a solicitor, notary, a person of standing in the community or an individual with a professional qualification with a statement that the photo is a true likeness of the applicant
  • the certificate issued after passing the accredited training course
  • a completed Disclosure of Criminal Convictions form
  • a criminal record certificate issued within the last month, such as a basic disclosure.

Download and complete

Application form on GOV.UK

Send your completed form along with payment and the relevant documents to Licensing. For our contact details, see Where to send completed forms or letters.