Not all heroes wear capes, and not all champions live on traditional streets, which is why the Street Champions scheme has a new name, Neighbourhood Champions!
Neighbourhood Champions are serious about making their local areas cleaner, greener and friendlier. They care about the street or estate they live on, and the people they share it with.
If you’d like to sign up to become a Neighbourhood Champion, please complete the online form.
About Neighbourhood Champions
Our Neighbourhood Champions project recognises those who go the extra mile to look after their local area, and offers them support to make even more of a difference. Neighbourhood Champions are encouraged to work with their neighbours, as well as the council and our waste contractors, to carry out any activities that are focused on improving the environment or bringing their communities closer together. By joining our Neighbourhood Champions scheme you'll be able to access support for all sorts of activities, from tackling litter and dog fouling, to organising street parties or play street events.
Become a Neighbourhood Champion and you can receive:
- the Neighbourhood Champions handbook packed with information and inspiration
- access to tools and equipment for cleaning and greening your local area
- advice and guidance on setting up community activities such as street parties and play streets
- opportunities to connect with fellow Neighbourhood Champions
- access to council knowledge and expertise
- the chance to increase your own knowledge on subjects such as fundraising or horticulture
We still sweep the streets and estates and remove dumped rubbish, however, it’s also our job to look at different ways of reducing litter and rubbish. Community-led solutions can be more successful at this than more traditional approaches.