Trading Standards

Use this guide to find out more about Lambeth’s Trading Standards service and how to make a consumer complaint.

Lettings and property agency work

The Trading Standards team have the authority to enforce:

The Order requires relevant businesses to join a redress scheme. The Act requires relevant businesses to display certain information in branch and on their website, including fees and whether they are a member of a client money protection scheme.

Because the Trading Standards team are authorised to enforce this legislation, they can issue monetary notices to businesses failing to meet the required standard. The penalty notices are issued for £5,000 for each branch or website found to be in breach; a business that has multiple branches and a website can be subject to multiple penalty notices for each of them found to be in breach.

The Trading Standards team takes its role seriously in ensuring that tenants in Lambeth are safeguarded and provided the protection they are prescribed in law. It is therefore vital for businesses in Lambeth to ensure that they are meeting the standards expected of them in the Order and the Act, as well as all other relevant legislation.

If you are a business in Lambeth and wish to find out more on how to ensure your business is complying with legislation concerning lettings and property agency work, you will find the following links useful:

Appealing a Notice of Intent or Final Notice

As a business it is your responsibility to ensure you are compliant with all relevant legislation, and seek legal advice as required. If you have been issued with a Notice of Intent or a Final Notice in relation to breaches of the Order or the Act, the Notice will explain the process for appeal.

Lambeth’s contact centre cannot assist or advise on appeals.

Information for Lambeth tenants and residents 

If you are concerned about a business, report your concerns to the Citizens Advice Consumer Services. You can report information anonymously and Citizens Advice Consumer Services will notify the relevant Trading Standards service to investigate.

You can also find information on your rights as a tenant on the housing section of this website.