Overpayment of Thames Water charges

The sections in this guide explain how overpayments will be credited to tenant rent accounts and how to claim a refund if you’re an eligible former tenant.

Information for former tenants

The refund due to former tenants will be calculated in the same way as for current tenants. This also applies to leaseholders who were tenants prior to purchasing their property.

Due to data protection requirements, we do not hold current addresses for most former tenants, so we will not be able to contact you directly. 

However, if you were a Lambeth Council tenant at any point between 1 July 2001 and 29 July 2019 and you paid water rates with your rent, you may be eligible for a refund of the commission we received. 

If you think you’re eligible for a refund, you need to contact our Rents Team:

If you know your old rent reference number, you can also sign up to the Lambeth Tenant Account.

We might contact you to ask for proof of identity. This is to protect against fraudulent claims.

Any outstanding arrears relating to your former rent account will be deducted from any refund due, along with any other debts owed to the council.