Personal home alarms (Careline) and key safes

How to request a personal emergency or community alarm service for your home or a key safe.


Careline is a personal emergency or community alarm service for your home, sometimes called a call or pendant alarm. 

A speech alarm unit box is installed in your home and connected to a monitoring centre via a phone line.

A pendant is provided that you can wear around your neck or wrist. You may still be able to have an alarm event if you don’t have a phone line.

Who can use personal alarm services?

Lots of people use a personal emergency alarm, including;

  • older people
  • people living with disabilities
  • people with sensory needs
  • people with serious medical conditions
  • people who feel under threat
  • people at risk from racial or domestic violence.

Careline providers

Lambeth Council no longer offers a personal alarm service unless it is provided to you as part of an assessed need for adult social care. You can find out more about eligibility on Care and support for you.

If you are not eligible for social care and support, you can arrange for your own personal emergency alarm service from a number of different organisations:

Organisation Phone
Age UK 0800 023 4138
Careline365 0800 101 3333
Lifeline24 0800 999 0400
Telecare24 0800 180 8540
Eldercare 0345 603 4576


Should an emergency arise, you can simply press the button on your pendant or speaker box and our staff will talk to you to arrange assistance. Our monitoring centre is open 24 hours a day.

You'll know that by pushing the Careline button, help will be on its way from either:

  • your 'key holders'
  • an ambulance
  • your GP
  • Careline staff.

Key safes

A key safe is a strong mechanical box that stores a spare key securely inside. The keys will only be accessible when using the correct combination code that you or your loved one creates.

Family and self-requests

If you or your family are requesting a key safe, we would need to know:

  • the reason why you are requesting a key safe
  • who will be accessing the key safe
  • the positioning of the key safe, as it should not be in plain view to the public.

If the person is funded by the Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), you will need to contact Careline24 directly:

Referrals from health and other care providers

If the person is not funded by the CCG, we'll need to know:

  • which professional is requesting the key safe, for example, health care provider or emergency responder
  • the positioning of the key safe, as it should not be in plain view to the public.

If the person is CCG-funded, you'll need to contact Careline24 directly using the details above.