Apply for an animal licence

You need different licences for breeding, keeping, training, hiring out and selling animals.

Dangerous wild animal licence

You need a licence to keep wild, dangerous or exotic animals, including:

  • certain pigs, such as wild boars
  • marsupials
  • primates
  • wild cats
  • wild dogs, such as wolves.

Hybrid or cross-bred animals may need a licence, depending on how far removed the animal is from its wild ancestor.

The act does not apply to any dangerous wild animal kept in:

  • a zoo
  • a circus
  • premises licensed as a pet shop
  • a registered establishment for carrying out animal experiments.

Costs for this service

A licence fee of £478 plus a veterinary inspection fee will be payable for both a new licence and the renewal of an existing licence.

To ensure that the premises meets the requirements of the act, we authorise a veterinary surgeon to inspect the premises. The fee for this is not included in the licence fee and will be invoiced separately.

The length of the licence is two years.

Download and complete

Please download and complete the application form below:

Application form for a licence to keep a dangerous wild animal (PDF, 123KB)

Return it with a cheque payable to 'London Borough of Lambeth' and send it to Animal Welfare Services. You can also contact us if you need more information or have any concerns.