Road humps, stopping up orders and traffic orders

Use this guide to find more information on road humps, stopping up orders and traffic orders, and the procedures involved.

Procedures involved in making a traffic order

We are required by law to publish notices in the local newspaper (South London Press and London Gazette).

Also, we may attach notices to lamp columns or other street furniture in the roads concerned and we may consult with residents and businesses in the roads affected.

  • In the case of experimental and permanent traffic orders, we are also obliged to make a copy of the order and other relevant documents available for public inspection.
  • Before we make an experiment or permanent traffic order, we are also legally obliged to consult the Police, Fire Brigade, Ambulance Service and organisations representing road users (for example the AA, the RAC, the London Cycling Campaign, the Pedestrian Association, the Freight Transport Association, the Road Haulage Association and bus companies).
  • In certain special circumstances we may hold a public inquiry.

Where can I see a copy of a traffic order?

Between 9.30am-4.30pm, Monday-Friday (Bank Holidays excluded) at:

Parking & Street Management Business Unit (Resident Services)
3rd Floor, Civic Centre
6 Brixton Hill

Object to a traffic order

Temporary traffic order
It is not possible to lodge a formal objection to a temporary traffic order. If you have any comment or complaint about a temporary traffic order, you should still contact us so that it can be investigated.

Experimental traffic order
It is not possible to lodge a formal objection to an experimental traffic order until it is in force. Once it is in force, objections may be made to the order being made permanent, and these must be made within six months of the day that the experimental order comes into force. If the experimental order is changed, then objections may be made within six months of the day that the experimental order is changed.

Permanent order
We have to give public notice of its intention before the permanent order comes into force, and invite objections or other representations. These must be made within 21 days of the day that the public notice appears in the South London Press and London Gazette, and in the roads concerned.

Any formal objection to a permanent order or to an experimental order being continued on a permanent basis, is considered by us before a decision is made on whether or not to make the relevant order. The objector is then notified in writing of our decision.

If the council decides to make the traffic order, despite objections, can I continue to object?

No, this is not possible. But, once the order is made, if you believe that we have acted outside of our powers or that the we have not carried out the correct legal procedures in making the order, then you may apply to the High Court within six weeks of the date that the order was made and ask the Court to quash the order.