Road humps, stopping up orders and traffic orders

Use this guide to find more information on road humps, stopping up orders and traffic orders, and the procedures involved.

Procedures involved in making a stopping up order

We are required by law to publish notices in the local newspaper (South London Press and London Gazette) and to display notices in the road concerned (notices are fixed to lamp columns or other street furniture).

  • We are obliged to make a copy of the order and other relevant documents available for public inspection.
  • We are required to consult the Police, Fire Brigade, Ambulance Service and organisations representing road users (for example the AA, the RAC, the London Cycling Campaign, the Pedestrians Association, the Freight Transport Association, the Road Haulage Association and bus companies).
  • We are obliged to get the agreement of any undertaker who has apparatus under the road to be stopped up and the owner of any property which adjoins the road to be stopped up. (Need content writer to clarify what is meant here).

Where can I see a copy of a stopping up order?

Between 9.30am-4.30pm, Monday-Friday (Bank Holidays excluded) at:

Parking & Street Management Business Unit (Resident Services)
3rd Floor, Civic Centre
6 Brixton Hill

Object to a stopping up order

When we give our notice of intention to make the order in the local newspaper and on the roads concerned, you may make an objection or other comment within 28 days of the day that the notice is published.

Any formal objection to a stopping up order is considered by us before a decision is made on whether or not to proceed with the order. Any objections which have not been withdrawn, may result in a local inquiry being held before the order can be made.

If the council decides to make the order, despite objections, can I continue to object?

No, this is not possible. But, once the order is made, if you believe that we have acted outside of its powers or that we have not carried out the correct legal procedures in making the order, then you may apply to the High Court within six weeks of the date that the order was published and ask the Court to quash the order.