Road humps, stopping up orders and traffic orders

Use this guide to find more information on road humps, stopping up orders and traffic orders, and the procedures involved.

Procedures involved in giving public notice of road humps

  • Before we can provide road humps, we are required by law to publish a notice of our intention to do so in the local newspaper (South London Press and London Gazette) and by displaying notices in the roads concerned.
  • We are also legally obliged to consult the Police, Fire Brigade, Ambulance Service and organisations representing road users (for example the AA, the RAC, the London Cycling Campaign, the Pedestrian Association, the Freight Transport Association, the Road Haulage Association and bus companies) and organisations representing people who are likely to be affected by the road humps.
  • If we think it appropriate, we may hold a local inquiry.

Can I object to the road humps?

Yes, you may object within a period of 21 days which starts on the day that the notice of intention is published in the local newspaper and displayed in the roads concerned.

During the 21-day objection period, you may view a drawing showing the location of the proposed road humps between 9.30am-4.30pm, Monday-Friday (Bank Holidays excluded) at:

Parking & Street Management Business Unit (Resident Services)
3rd Floor, Civic Centre
6 Brixton Hill

Any objection to road humps is considered by us before a decision is made on whether or not to go ahead and provide the humps. In due course, you will be notified in writing of our decision.

If it is decided to provide the road humps, can I still object?

No, it is not possible to make an objection if the objection period has expired, or, if your objection has been considered and a decision has been made.