Proof of address and date of birth documents for school admission applications

Use this guide to help you submit proof of address and date of birth documents, to assist with your application.

Questions and answers

Why do I need to provide this documentation?

You may be aware that places are normally allocated on the basis of the distance between your home address and the school.

This means that checking addresses is a vital part of ensuring the whole process is fair and accurate. For us to properly consider your application, we need you to provide copies of the documents listed in this guide to show that you and your child live at the address you've stated.

All applications must have the required proof of address documentation provided.

What if I only have one item from the list or none at all?

If you have none, or only some, of the documents listed, a sworn affidavit, statutory declaration or affirmation obtained through a solicitor will be needed.

This affidavit, statutory declaration or affirmation must be signed by a solicitor holding a current practising certificate issued by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Please note that Lambeth Council can't contribute towards the cost of obtaining this.

My child and I live with my parents, so I have no bills or tenancy agreements in my name, what should I do?

In this scenario you should be listed as liable to pay council tax in your parents' house, regardless of your personal arrangement, and therefore you should be able to provide a council tax bill (or account screenshot) with your name. This would count as your main (section 1) proof of address.

Who needs to pay Lambeth Council Tax

Is it OK that the documents are in my maiden name?

If this is the case, we'll require a copy of your marriage certificate or Deed Poll statement confirming the change of name, so that we can match the name to the one you stated on the application.

Are bank statements and child trust fund letters accepted?

No, only items on the list are accepted.

Is a copy of my child's 'Red Book' accepted?

No, as most of these are issued before a child is registered and so there is no child's name on the book, only 'baby'. We require a document from our list, as they clearly state the child's legal name.

Do you need a copy of my or my child’s passport, birth certificate or identity card?

Yes. This will be used to confirm your child's date of birth only.

I have only just moved to my current address and don't have all the required documents for that address, what can I do?

Provide what you can from the list for you and your child, and provide an affidavit, statutory declaration or affirmation, obtained through a solicitor.

Will Lambeth Council help with costs to pay for a GP letter or solicitor’s letter?

No, Lambeth Council can't take responsibility for, or provide payment for such documents.

My address is a temporary address, does that matter?

You must use the address where you and your child are living when you make the application (even if this is a temporary address), and provide all the required documents. If you then move home, you must tell us about this as soon as possible and provide new proof of address documents from the list.

I am due to move soon, what should I do?

As mentioned above, use the address where you are at now, and provide the required proof of address documentation. After you've moved home, you'll need to let us know about your change of address. See the previous page of this guide for more information.