Overview of the Vauxhall Supplementary Planning Document (SPD)
The Vauxhall Supplementary Planning Document (SPD), adopted in January 2013, sets out the plans for the district centre. They include as follows:
- The creation of a thriving centre with more shops, restaurants and cafes and proposals for a new and better public space. This has started with the arrival of new shops such as Little Waitrose, Dirty Burger and the Travel Lodge.
- Ensuring that the importance of Vauxhall as a transport interchange between rail, underground and bus is retained and, crucially, that the area becomes safer and more comfortable for cyclists and pedestrians, while maintaining the operation of the strategic road network.
- More shops, cafes and restaurants – both on the streets and within the buildings themselves where distinctive retail businesses will reflect a strong sense of established and emerging local character.
- Investment will be secured for the area’s beautiful green and open spaces, including Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens, Pedlar’s Park and Vauxhall Park, and these will be better connected and linked through to the river and the new linear park.
- Iconic tall buildings of high quality with excellent sustainability credentials will form a cluster around Vauxhall Cross, with particular attention paid to design at ground level to ensure that they contribute to creating a memorable and attractive place. The Vauxhall Nine Elms Battersea Opportunity Area Planning Framework (OAPF), guiding the development of the area, allows buildings in the region of 150 metres. A map of current development sites can be found here.
- The railway arches, so long a barrier, will be brought to life to provide space for new business, community and cultural uses.
The Vauxhall SPD supporting documents, setting out the ambition for Vauxhall, were approved by the council's Cabinet on Monday 14 January 2013 and can be downloaded from this page.
|Vauxhall SPD part 1 - Introduction||2.63 MB|
|Vauxhall SPD part 2 - The Challenges||4.34 MB|
|Vauxhall SPD part 3 - The Vision||4.18 MB|
|Vauxhall SPD part 4 - The Principles||6.13 MB|
|Vauxhall SPD part 4b - The Principles||6.07 MB|
|Vauxhall SPD part 6 - Sustainability||1.98 MB|
|Vauxhall SPD part 7 - Delivery and Implementation||5.61 MB|
|Vauxhall SPD questionnaire and outreach report||589.06 KB|
|Vauxhall parks study||2.06 MB|
|Vauxhall SPD sustainability appraisal||11.86 MB|
|Vauxhall SPD consultation statement||584.88 KB|
|Vauxhall SPD - roadshow comments report||31.99 KB|
|Vauxhall SPD - ‘mole’ events comments report||24.44 KB|
|Vauxhall SPD - equality impact assessment||152.71 KB|
|Vauxhall District Centre - retail impact assessment||439.37 KB|
|Vauxhall SPD part 5 - The Character Areas||4.89 MB|