Wyck Gardens is a medium-sized public open space, located between Brixton and Camberwell.
Wyck gardens is thought to gets its name from the old Manor of Lambeth Wick, which originally belonged to the Archbishops of Canterbury and was once part of an older area of woodland called ‘Wickwood’. These woods had been cleared by the end of the 17th Century and remained as open land until the 1960’s when most of it was cleared for housing. When the area was redeveloped in the 1950’s, part of the original Church estate was bought by the London County Council for a new public open space which opened in 1959.
Wyck Gardens was gradually extended until 1961 to its present size and shape. Further improvements to the local public realm, made jointly by Transport for London and Lambeth Council in partnership with the Loughborough Junction Action Group (LJAG), have been designed to make Wyck Gardens more accessible to a wider diversity of users, including a new eastern entrance area onto Loughborough Road.
Wyck Gardens contains a children’s playground, and a multi-use games area in the middle of the site which can be used for 5-a-side football and other ball games, including ‘urban cricket. It also contains a community orchard on its western side, which is managed by local residents for food growing and biodiversity, as well as other areas maintained as meadow grassland.
Wyck Gardens is also home to the Ebony Horse Club, which uses horses and horse riding to help raise the education, life skills, wellbeing and aspirations of young people from disadvantaged communities in Lambeth. Ebony operates out of a state of the art stabling and riding centre on the eastern side of the Gardens, and also graze their horses on other parts of the site.
Other useful information
Ebony Horse Club - Ebony Horse Club
Loughborough Junction Action Group (LJAG) - Loughborough Junction Action Group