Tivoli Park is a medium-sized public open space located on Knight’s Hill between West Norwood and Streatham.
The park lies on part of the grounds of a large house called Holderness House, which was built in 1839 for Thomas Henry Maudslay, whose father Henry had established a famous engineering firm at premises in Westminster Bridge Road, Waterloo.
In 1914 four acres of the estate was sold to Lambeth Borough Council in order to create a new public open space. The new open space, originally known as Knight’s Hill Recreation Ground, was renamed Tivoli Park in 2010. The name ‘Tivoli’ is thought to come from the ‘Tivoli Gardens’, which are outside Rome and were popular in Victorian times, leading to a spate of roads throughout England taking this much older name.
Tivoli Park contains a children’s playground, multi-use games court, trees, hedges and various wildlife features including native and pollinator-friendly hedges and an area designed to capture and divert water issuing from natural springs, which are common in this area, away from surrounding housing and internal paths.
Playground refurbishment - Spring 2022
The playground in Tivoli Park is currently being refurbished, using funds secured from local housing developments. These works will take approximately four weeks to complete, with the aim to have the new playground open by the late May Bank Holidays.
In the meantime please respect any fencing around the playground and do not allow children to enter the works area for their own safety.
Other useful information
Friends of Tivoli Park - Friends of Tivoli Park