Noise complaints

Use this guide to help you find information on making a noise complaint.

What you need to know

Noise that we can investigate

We respond to complaints about noise from:

  • loud music or parties
  • alarms from buildings or cars
  • commercial buildings, such as pubs, clubs and factories
  • repairs
  • barking dogs
  • home improvement and DIY.

Construction and building noise

Construction and building work is only allowed at set times. You can report noise from construction or building work if it happens during a time when it is not allowed. 

  • Monday-Friday, 8.00am-6.00pm
  • Saturday, 8.00am-1.00pm

It is not allowed on Sunday or bank holidays.

Firework noise

We only investigate firework noise from homes outside of the allowed times listed below. If it happens outside of these times, you can report it as nuisance noise.

Street firework noise should be reported to the police.

Fireworks are permitted:

  • 7.00am-11.00pm on any day
  • 7.00am to midnight on 5 November, Bonfire Night
  • 7.00am-1.00am following the first day of Chinese New Year
  • 7.00am-1.00am on the day following Diwali
  • 7.00am-1.00am on the day following 31 December, New Year’s Eve.