Check if you can apply

The children’s homes

The scheme is for people who as children lived in or visited a Lambeth children’s home or Shirley Oaks Children’s Home (or both).

The scheme covers children’s homes if they were both:

  • run by the London County Council until April 1965
  • transferred to the London Borough of Lambeth in April 1965

The full list of children’s homes is:

  • Almond House Hostel
  • Angell Road
  • Calais Street
  • Chestnut Road/ Robson Road
  • Chevington House
  • Cumberlow Lodge
  • Garrads Road
  • Gresham Place
  • Highland Road
  • Ingleton House
  • Ivy House/ Warham Road
  • Knowle Close
  • Lancester Avenue
  • Lancaster Road
  • Leigham Court Road
  • Lorn Road
  • Monkton Street
  • Mount Villas
  • Nottingham Road
  • Rathmell Drive
  • Rectory Grove/ Elaine Claire House
  • Samuel House
  • Shirley Oaks
  • South Vale
  • Southwood
  • Southwood Discharge Hostel
  • St Saviours
  • Stephany House
  • Stockwell Park
  • The Elms
  • Thornwick Nursery
  • Tivoli Road
  • Woodvale

What you must have experienced

Harm’s Way Payment

You can apply for the Harm’s Way Payment if both of these are true:

  • you lived in fear of being abused, neglected or suffering cruelty while living in a Lambeth children’s home
  • your experience had a negative impact on your childhood

Individual Redress Payment

You can apply for the Individual Redress Payment if all of these are true:

  • you lived in or visited a Lambeth Children’s Home or attended Shirley Oaks Primary School as a child
  • you suffered sexual abuse, physical abuse or psychological injury while you were there
  • the abuse was committed by a member of staff

You can also apply if you were put into foster care directly from a Lambeth children’s home and suffered abuse in that foster care.

However, if you went from somewhere other than a Lambeth children’s home into foster care (such as your family home), any abuse you suffered in foster care would not be covered by the scheme. In that case, you would need to make a civil claim against the council.

If you suffered abuse or injury in a non-Lambeth Children’s Home, even where Lambeth was involved in your placement in that home, you would not be covered by the scheme but may still be able to make a civil claim against the council or another organisation. You should seek advice from a solicitor who will be able to advise you further depending upon the circumstances of your case.

If you have a criminal record

You can still make an application. Having a criminal record has no impact on your application or the decision about whether you can get compensation.

If you’ve received compensation in the past

If you’ve received compensation for the same injury by the same person (either from the person or from us), we will count this money as an ‘interim’ payment.

If your application to the scheme is successful, we will deduct this interim payment from the amount we pay you.

If you’ve had compensation from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA), you’ll have to pay that money back to the CICA if your application through the scheme is successful.

If you’ve started a claim outside the scheme

If you’ve started a claim for compensation through the courts, you can transfer your claim to the scheme (as long as it satisfies the criteria).

If the courts have already sent legal papers to the defendant (‘issued’ your claim), you and the council will need to make a joint application to the court to end your civil action.

If an applicant ‘lacks capacity’

If an applicant is not able to apply themselves for any reason (‘lacks capacity’), they must be represented by either a:

  • legal representative
  • ‘litigation friend’

A litigation friend is someone who:

  • offers help to an eligible applicant who lacks capacity
  • can fairly and competently apply on their behalf

If someone who lacks capacity is offered an Individual Redress Payment, a court will need to approve the payment before it is made.

A court does not need to approve a Harm’s Way Payment.

If an applicant has died

You can apply on behalf of someone who has died for an Individual Redress Payment. You cannot apply for a Harm’s Way Payment for them.

However, if someone dies after applying for a Harm’s Way Payment, you can continue with the claim on their behalf.

To apply on behalf of someone who has died, you’ll need to provide:

  • a copy of their death certificate
  • a copy of the grant of probate (a document showing you have the legal right to deal with the person’s property, money and possessions)
  • proof of your identity