Sheltered housing

Use this guide to help you understand more about sheltered housing in Lambeth.

Who can use this service?

The applicant (and partner, if applicable) must normally be:

  • aged 60 or over
  • aged 55 or over and have a disability, and/or
  • aged 55 or over and have a mental health problem.

You must also:

  • need the security of an alarm system and the assistance of the Scheme Manager (SM)
  • be able to care for yourself with the help of community care services (such as home help or meals-on-wheels)
  • not require a high level of nursing care or domestic services.

A support needs assessment will take place to ensure that those requesting sheltered housing meet the eligibility requirements. With the exception of Lambeth Council tenants, a separate assessment will also take place to determine eligibility for social housing.

Before applying for sheltered housing, Lambeth Council tenants should register for a transfer with their local area office.

To apply for sheltered housing, you can contact either your local housing office, your doctor, home help or social worker.

If you are accepted, you will need to bid for a property under choice-based lettings. If you accept the property after viewing it, you sign up for the property in the normal way.

Applications for extra care sheltered housing for frail older people are assessed in conjunction with Lambeth Adults’ and Community Services (ACS).

Please phone the ACS call centre on 020 7926 5555 for more information.