Save energy and keep warm in your home

Lambeth Council are committed to tackling fuel poverty in the borough and to reducing the impact of cold weather on the health of our most vulnerable residents.

Energy-efficiency grants, advice, and services

There are a number of organisations that can provide advice, information, and support to help you to reduce your fuel bills and ensure that you are getting the best deal from your energy company.

Advice and information about grants

The Household Support Scheme is available to support you with food and fuel payments this Winter.

If you are a Lambeth resident with a household income of less than £30,000 per year, you may be eligible for the scheme, even if you have applied previously.

The scheme runs until 31st March 2022.

If you need support with your food and fuel bills, you can apply here . 

Energy Saving Trust advice centre

The advice centre:

  • offers free, impartial advice
  • provides information about energy efficiency, renewable energy, sustainable transport and reducing waste and water use
  • can let you know about grants and offers available
  • put you in touch with local professional installers.


Citizens Advice Consumer Service

The service provides free, confidential and impartial advice on consumer issues, including energy. They can also help you make an effective complaint to your energy company.

Their website contains information on finding the best energy deals and checking on your consumer rights.


South London Energy Efficiency Partnership

Do you struggle to pay your energy bills?

Lambeth Council is a member of the South London Energy Efficiency Partnership (SLEEP). SLEEP is an energy efficiency advisory service that targets households in fuel poverty. SLEEP offers advice on how to make your home warmer during the colder months, how to save money on energy and how to improve your health. Specifically, SLEEP does the following:

  • Offer energy efficiency advice;
  • Install energy saving devices;
  • Support home improvement grant applications;
  • Offer you impartial advice that will help you heat your home for less;
  • Connect you to other sources of help.

SLEEP can offer free help to any Lambeth resident who is:

  • over 65;
  • on a low income;
  • has a long term health conditions or disability.

If you are a health professional dealing with vulnerable groups, or you are concerned about a neighbour or a relative, you can make a referral. To make a refferal please visit South London Healthy Homes and complete the online refferal form.


Know people living in fuel poverty or need help with your own energy bills?

Repowering offers community support services by proving expert advice and guidance on energy saving measures through "energy advice desks". Repowering also provide "home energy audits" to identify opportunities in the home to install energy efficiency measures, including technical solutions such as installing energy-saving lightbulbs and insulation.

Phone: 020 3674 7519

Website: Repowering

Priority Services Register

Several energy companies have support available for customers who might require some extra help through the Priority Services Register.

The scheme offers extra free services to people who are of pensionable age, are registered disabled, have a hearing or visual impairment, or have long term ill-health.

Every energy company offers a slightly different set of services, but these can include:

  • a service more tailored to your needs, such as getting your bills and meter readings in Braille, large type or audio tape
  • free quarterly meter readings if you tell your supplier you can’t read it yourself
  • priority re-connection if your supply is interrupted and advance notice if they have to stop your supply
  • arranging for your bills to be sent or copied to someone else, such as a carer, who can help you read and check them.

Contact your energy company directly to find out what they can assist you with.

Warm Home Discount scheme

If you are a pensioner or on a low income, you may qualify for the Warm Home Discount Scheme. This gives a rebate to pensioners on low incomes and some other customers on low incomes. You could get £140 off your electricity bill for winter 2021 to 2022 under the Warm Home Discount Scheme. This would be in the form of a one-off discount on your electricity bill, between October and March.

The scheme opens on 18 October 2021.

If you are not a pensioner on a low income, you may still be eligible for the Warm Home Discount Scheme. Each energy company has different criteria, so contact your supplier to check whether you are eligible for.

Green Homes Grant Local Authority Delivery scheme

If your total household income is less than £30,000 a year, including benefits, you could be eligible for a grant of up to £10,000 through the Green Homes Grant (GHG) Local Authority Delivery (LAD) scheme. 

The GHG LAD scheme allows residents to improve the energy efficiency of their homes and reduce their monthly energy bills, as a way to tackle fuel poverty and reduce carbon emissions.

To check if you are eligible and to register your interest for the scheme please visit Green Homes Grant.

You can also see more information about the scheme on the council's Green Homes Grant Local Authority Delivery webpage or call 0800 083 2265 (Monday to Friday, 9am—5.30pm).

Energy trusts and funds

Most bigger energy companies have trusts or funds that could help you if you are having real problems playing your energy bills. Trusts have different criteria, but generally they could help clear energy debts. Some may also provide grants to buy essential white goods, cookers, and boiler replacements.

To find out about the support offered and the criteria, call your energy company or an advice agency like Citizen’s Advice. You can also find out more online:

Help for landlords

If you are a landlord and want to improve the energy efficiency of your rental property (properties), the Landlord’s Energy Saving Allowance (LESA) allows you to reduce your tax bill by up to £1,500 a year for each flat, house or bedsit that you rent out. You can claim LESA for the costs of buying and installing the following energy-saving products for properties you rent out:

  • Cavity wall and loft insulation.
  • Solid wall insulation.
  • Draught-proofing.
  • Hot water system insulation.
  • Floor insulation.

Visit GOV.UK for the more information about LESA.

Note that it is illegal to rent out an energy-inefficient property (an EPC rating lower than E). Do not be caught out by this, and look at your options to improve your rental property now!

Energy Company Obligation: Local Authority Flexible Eligiblity

This is an obligation on energy suppliers to help households cut their energy bills and reduce carbon emissions by installing energy saving measures. Energy companies are obliged to contribute to a national fund used to install energy efficiency measures.

A Flexible ECO scheme has been introduced. This recognises that a lot of households who are not in receipt of means tested benefits may still have needs related to fuel poverty. Local authorities need to have their own criteria for identifying households who would be eligible for assistance under Flexible ECO.

Flexible ECO is for residents of a private tenure only (home ownership and the private rented sector). Once households have been identified as being eligible for assistance, they may have access to energy efficiency measures funded under ECO.


The two main categories of private tenure households in Lambeth who are eligible for assistance under Flexible ECO are:

  • Fuel-poor households
  • Low income households who are vulnerable to the effects of living in a cold home.

Under both categories, the household should not receive:

  • Employment Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Job Seeker's Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit.

A Statement of Intent (SoI) states publicly the criteria that a local authority, or a group of local authorities, intends to use to identify households that meet the eligibility criteria under Flexible ECO: