Asked to move out by friends or family

Where you are threatened by homelessness from family and friends, Lambeth Council has a legal duty to help you remain within the home environment where it is safe to do so.

The council will usually contact your family or friends to:

  • confirm the date you have to leave
  • negotiate to see if you can stay or return.

If you are unable to remain with family and friends long-term, the council may offer you assistance with finding another place to live, preventing your future homelessness.

In general, the council will only help customers who are in ‘priority need’ with temporary accommodation. Those who may be in priority need include:

  • those living with a dependent child - this will usually include a child aged 16-18 if they’re in full-time education or training
  • those who are pregnant or living with someone who is
  • those who are homeless because of an emergency fire or flood
  • 16 or 17 year-olds not living with family and social services can’t help - check when you can get help from social services
  • 18-20 year-olds who were living in care.

You’re also in priority need if it's more difficult for you to be homeless because of your needs. This is known as being vulnerable. You might be vulnerable, for example, because of a disability or old age.

For younger children, if you are 16-17 years of age and are being asked to leave the home of family or friends, you need to contact children's social services as soon as possible. We will work with them to discuss your housing options.

Contact social services on 020 7926 5555.

Do it online

If you would like to make a homelessness application, please complete the form below.

Get advice to prevent homelessness