Passing on a tenancy

Use this guide to help you when passing on your tenancy.

Assign your tenancy to someone else

You can assign your tenancy to someone who is already qualified to succeed the tenancy if you were to die.

Who can use this service?

This form is for Lambeth Housing tenants only.

If you’re a Lambeth Housing tenant, you can assign your tenancy to your husband, wife or civil partner if they live with you.

You can also assign your tenancy to one of your children (including step and adoptive children) or to an unmarried partner if they’ve lived with you continuously for the last 12 months.

Other family members

If your tenancy was created before 1 April 2012, you can also assign it to the following family members:

  • parents
  • grandparents
  • grandchildren
  • brothers and sisters
  • uncles and aunts
  • nieces and nephews
  • step relations
  • half relations.

Family members must have been living in the same property as the tenant for at least 12 months before the tenant's death.

What you need to know...

Before you apply

A tenancy can’t be assigned to someone else if:

  • you inherited it
  • it was assigned to you from another tenant
  • it’s a joint tenancy.

If you haven't already done so, please read the assignment section for information on when we wouldn't grant an assignment and things for you to consider before you apply.

When you apply

To assign your tenancy to someone else, you'll need to do two things:

  • fill in an online form to tell us of your intent to give away your tenancy
  • visit your local area housing office with the required evidence.

Evidence required

When you go to your area housing office, you'll need to bring with you evidence to prove the assignee’s:

  • identification (ID)
  • connection to you
  • residency at your home.

You'll also need to provide a passport-style photo of the assignee. This can be uploaded to your form and taken with a smartphone or digital camera.

If the assignee is your child, unmarried partner or other family member, they must provide as many of the relevant documents below. Not doing so will delay the assessment of your application.

Proof of ID

This can be a valid passport or driver's licence.

Proof of connection to the deceased tenant

The following documents can be used as evidence:

  • full birth and adoption certificates
  • marriage and civil partnership certificates
  • documents addressed to you and your partner.

If the assignee is a family member, you’ll need to provide the birth certificate of the other family members that connects them to you if there are any.

For example, if the assignee is your grandchild, you'll need to provide the birth certificates for them and their parent that is your child.

Proof of address

The following documents can be used as evidence to show the assignee lives with you:

  • utility bills in their name (mobile phone bills won't be accepted)
  • payslips and a P60
  • GP and hospital letters
  • an NHS medical card
  • a current council tax bill showing the full amount is being paid
  • benefit entitlement letter
  • an electoral registration letter, canvas form or polling card, dated in the last year.

For husbands, wives and civil partners, you only need to provide evidence showing they currently live at the property.

For all other family members, you’ll need to show they have lived with you for the last 12 months.

You'll only need to provide six copies of utility bills and payslips to cover the 12-month period.

For example, if the 12-month period is from March 2017 to February 2018, you should provide your payslips for March 2017 and February 2018 and four months in between.

Do it online

Fill in the tenancy assignment form

Next steps

A decision will be given in writing and we hold the right to run each application for assignment by a senior officer.

Decisions will be based on the information and evidence provided by the person making the request and any investigations we make.

If further time is needed for investigations to take place, a target timescale will be set, and we’ll let you know what this is.

The personal information we have collected from you will be shared with fraud prevention agencies who will use it to prevent fraud and money-laundering and to verify your identity. If fraud is detected, you could be refused certain services, finance, or employment.

Further details of how your information will be used by us and fraud prevention agencies, as well as your data protection rights, can be found by visiting the CIFAS website.