Make changes to your tenancy

Use this guide to find information about making a change to your tenancy.

If you're an existing Lambeth Housing tenant, you can apply for a joint tenancy, where two people are jointly responsible for the tenancy.

Who can use this service?

This form is for Lambeth Housing tenants only.

To apply for a joint tenancy, the current sole tenant must fill in the form below.

You can apply for a joint tenancy if:

  • you have a secure tenancy
  • you haven't succeeded or been assigned a tenancy from someone else
  • the proposed new tenant is your spouse, civil partner or cohabiting partner.

If the new tenant is your cohabiting partner, they must have lived with you for 12 continuous months before you can apply.

What you need to know...

Before you apply

If you haven't already done so, you should read our guide to joint tenancies.

When you apply

To apply for a joint tenancy, tenants can either:

  • apply online
  • contact 020 7926 6000 to speak to their Neighbourhood Housing Officer who will discuss the application with the tenant and agree what evidence is required
  • submit a request in writing to London Borough of Lambeth, PO Box 734, Winchester, Hants SO23 5DG.

Evidence required

The incoming tenant should provide you with all relevant documents to upload with your application. These are:

  • one form of photo ID — this can be their passport, driver's licence or EU identity card
  • benefits entitlement letter
  • Child Benefit or Child Tax Credit entitlement letter
  • full birth certificate
  • Home Office document
  • marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • a current Council Tax bill showing the full amount is being paid
  • an electoral registration letter, canvas form or polling card, dated in the last year
  • GP or hospital letter
  • NHS medical card.

You'll also need to provide a passport-style photo of the incoming tenant. This can be taken with a smartphone or digital camera and uploaded to your form.

Cohabiting and unmarried partners

You'll need to prove that you're in a relationship with the incoming tenant and that they've lived with you for at least 12 months.

To prove your relationship, you can use documents addressed to you both, or any other reasonable means such as photos of the two of you.

It's down to you to prove that the proposed new tenant is your partner and lives with you.

To show they've lived with you for 12 months, you can use:

  • utility bills in their name (mobile phone bills won't be accepted)
  • their payslips, covering the last 12 months
  • their P60.

You'll only need to provide six copies of utility bills and payslips to cover the 12-month period.

For example, if the 12-month period is from March 2017 to February 2018, you should provide your payslips for March 2017 and February 2018 and four months in between.

Do it online

Apply for a joint tenancy

Next steps

A decision will be given in writing and we hold the right to run each application for a joint tenancy by a senior officer.

Decisions will be based on the information and evidence provided by the person making the request and any investigations we make.

If further time is needed for investigations to take place, a target timescale will be set, and we’ll let you know what this is.