Get consent to exchange your home

If you’re a Lambeth Housing tenant, you can apply to exchange your home with another council or housing association tenant.

Who can use this service?

This form is for Lambeth Housing tenants only.

You can only apply for an exchange if you’re a secure tenant. If you're an introductory tenant, you won't be able to exchange your home.

You should only complete this form when you have identified a tenant to mutual exchange with.

What you need to know...

If you're a secure tenant, you may exchange your tenancy with another secure tenant of a social landlord, such as another local authority or housing association.

To exchange properties, you must get our consent and the consent of the other tenant’s landlord before the exchange.

When you exchange your home, you’ll also be swapping your rights for those of the other tenant.

It is a breach of your tenancy agreement if you receive any financial gain for agreeing to a mutual exchange.

Filling in the form

When you fill in the form, you'll need to provide details about:

  • the other people who live with you (members of your household)
  • the people you want to swap homes with — who the applicants are and who they live with
  • their landlord (their council or housing association) and the contact details for their housing officer.

You should resolve any tenancy issues before you enter into a mutual exchange. Joint tenants should apply together.

Please ensure that the Area Housing Office has the details of everyone who currently lives with you. If you need to remove anyone, fill out the Tenancy Amendment form. If you need to add anyone, fill out the Addition to Tenancy form. 

When we might refuse consent

We may refuse consent to a mutual exchange if any of the circumstances set out in Schedule 3 to the Housing Act 1985 apply, including:

  • a valid Possession Order on the property
  • a valid Notice of Seeking Possession on the property on one or more grounds
  • the incoming tenant substantially under-occupying the property (by more than one bedroom)
  • the property not being suitable for the housing needs of the incoming tenant
  • if the property is occupied on a service tenancy
  • if a suspended anti-social behaviour possession order or a suspended riot-related possession order is in force
  • if an application has been made to court for a demotion order, anti-social behaviour possession order, or a riot-related possession order to be made against either you or the person you want to exchange with, or a person living with either you or your proposed assignee
  • if your property is subject to a Closure Notice or Closure Order
  • if we have not received a satisfactory landlord consent from the person that you wish to exchange with, and as such, have had to refuse the mutual exchange.

Other things to know

The incoming tenant is expected to be able to comply with the conditions of tenancy affecting the property.

Any parking facility or shed you currently let is not included in the exchange arrangements.

In the event of a mutual exchange, any such parking space, garage or shed will fall available for re-let according to the policy and procedures in force at the time and will be allocated by the area office.

In the event of any dispute, query or appeal relating to any such sub tenancy, the housing area manager will have absolute power to adjudicate and their decision will be final.

Any disrepair should be effected before the mutual exchange takes place. With few exceptions, you may be accepting responsibility for any repairs outstanding at the time that you move in. If you're in doubt, obtain advice from your local housing officer.

To effect a mutual exchange, you and the incoming tenant will need to sign a Deed of Assignment.

If you have any doubts about this process, please obtain independent legal advice.

Do it online

Get consent to exchange your home