Apply to succeed a tenancy

Who can inherit a tenancy, and how you inherit a tenancy from someone after they die.

Who can use this service

This form is for Lambeth Housing tenancies only.

You can apply to succeed the tenancy of a Lambeth Housing tenant if you're their husband, wife or civil partner and you lived with them at the time they died.

Children of the tenant (including step and adoptive children) and unmarried partners can apply if they lived with the tenant for the 12 months before their death.

Other family members

For tenancies created before 1 April 2012, the following family members can also apply to inherit a tenancy:

  • Parents.
  • Grandparents.
  • Children (including adoptive children).
  • Grandchildren.
  • Brothers and sisters.
  • Uncles and aunts.
  • Nieces and nephews.
  • Step relations.
  • Half relations.

Family members must have been living in the same property as the tenant for at least 12 months before the tenant's death.

Joint tenants

If the tenant who dies is a joint tenant, the tenancy will continue with the remaining joint tenant.

To find out how to report their death, see Tell us a tenant has died.

What you need to know

Before you apply

If you haven't already done so, please read our guide to passing on a tenancy.

A tenancy can’t be passed on if it was:

  • previously inherited
  • assigned from another tenant.

When you apply

To apply for a succession, you'll need to:

  • fill in an online form to notify us of your intent to succeed a tenancy
  • take the required evidence to your local area housing office.

Evidence required

When you go to your area housing office, you'll need to bring with you the death certificate for the deceased tenant and evidence to show proof of your:

  • identification (ID)
  • connection and relationship to the deceased tenant
  • current residency at the property.

You'll also need to provide a passport-style photo of yourself. This can be uploaded to your form and taken with a smartphone or digital camera.

If you're the child, unmarried partner or family member of the tenant, you must provide as many of the relevant documents below. Not doing so will delay us in assessing your application.

Proof of ID

This can be a valid passport or driver's licence.

Proof of connection to the deceased tenant

You can use as evidence:

  • full birth or adoption certificates
  • marriage and civil partnership certificates
  • documents addressed to you and the tenant (unmarried partners).

If you're a family member, you’ll need to provide the birth certificate of the other family members that connects you to the tenant, if there are any.

For example, if you're the tenant's grandchild, you'll need to provide the birth certificates for yourself and your parent that is the child of the tenant.

Proof of address

The documents you can use as evidence to show you lived with the deceased tenant are:

  • utility bills in your name (but not mobile phone bills)
  • payslips and a P60
  • GP and hospital letters
  • a medical card
  • council tax bill showing the full amount is being paid
  • benefit entitlement letter
  • an electoral registration letter, canvas form or polling card, dated in the last year.

Husbands, wives and civil partners only need to provide evidence showing they currently live at the property.

All other family members will need to show they were living with the tenant for the 12 months before they died.

You'll only need to provide six copies of utility bills and payslips to cover the 12-month period.

For example, if the 12-month period is from May 2017 to April 2018, you should provide your payslips for May 2017 and April 2018 and the four months in between.

Do it online

Apply to succeed a tenancy

Next steps

We will send you our decision in writing. We hold the right to run each application for succession by a senior officer.

Decisions will be based on the information and evidence provided by the person making the request and any investigations we make.

If further time is needed for investigations to take place, we'll set a target timescale and let you know what this is.

The personal information we have collected from you will be shared with fraud prevention agencies. They will use it to prevent fraud and money laundering and to verify your identity. If fraud is detected, you could be refused certain services, finance, or employment.

Further details of how your information will be used by us and these fraud prevention agencies. You can find out about your data protection rights by visiting the CIFAS website.