Covid-19 financial and benefits help

Support is available if you’re worried about money and making ends meet

Financial help from the council

£738 support payment

You might be able to get a payment of up to £738 if you’re told to self-isolate because of Covid-19 and you cannot work from home and will lose income or potential work, or you care for dependents who have to stay home due to Covid-19. 

Find out more about the Test and Trace Support Payment and Lambeth Stay Home Support Payment.

Other financial support 

Help with your income

If you have become unemployed, you might be able to get Universal Credit. If you need help with applying, you can contact one of the advice services listed under ’Money advice and support’ below.

If you are an employee who is currently or potentially impacted by coronavirus you may be able to get support via the government’s Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, also called furlough. If you and your employer both agree, your employer might be able to keep you on the payroll. You could get paid 80% of your wages, up to a monthly cap of £2,500. The scheme has been extended until 30 September 2021.

If you are self-employed you may be able to get a taxable grant through the Self-employment Income Support Scheme. It is worth 80% of your trading profits, up to a maximum of £2,500 per month for 3 months. Other support available could include claiming Universal Credit and deferring Self Assessment tax payments.

Help with bills

If your income still does not meet your outgoings, some other ways to reduce your bills could be:

  • getting tailored support from your mortgage lender. You may be able to agree payment options specific to your circumstances, including if you have a mortgage payment holiday that’s coming to an end. See the Financial Conduct Authority’s advice on mortgages and coronavirus.
  • contacting your energy providers to discuss measures they have in place to support you. Energy providers have agreed emergency support that means you should not face any additional hardships in heating or lighting your home. Read advice from the energy regulator, Ofgem, on energy supply and coronavirus.
  • talking to your creditors if you have other debts, like credit cards. It’s important to talk to them if you think you will miss a payment.

Money advice and support

  • For a comprehensive directory of local and national organisation providing support on money issues, see our Get debt and money advice section.
  • Lambeth Council has a benefits advice service called Every Pound Counts for residents who have a long-term health condition or disability. Find out more at Get debt and money advice under Every Pound Counts, where you can also find a referral form.
  • For members of Latin American communities in Lambeth, the Indoamerican Refugee and Migrant Organization can provide information and remote appointments for welfare and Covid-19 support.
  • Age UK Lambeth’s MYcommunity gateway service can link you to ‘Connect Lambeth’ services. These services include advice and support. Call 0333 360 3700, Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm, or email