The Chancellor announced at the budget on 3rd March 2021 Restart Grants for businesses from 1st April 2021.
The primary principle of the Restart Grant scheme is a one-off payment to support businesses that offer in-person services, where the main service and activity takes place in a fixed rate-paying premises.
The Restart Grant Scheme is for businesses on the ratings list only.
Any changes to the rating list (rateable value or to the hereditament) after 1st April 2021 should be ignored for the purposes of eligibility.
Local authorities are not required to adjust, pay where the rating list is subsequently amended retrospectively to 1st April 2021.
Businesses must have been trading on 1st April 2021 to be eligible to receive funding under this scheme.
It is expected that, although the business is not able to provide in-person services from the premises on 1st April 2021, trading and business activity is still ongoing.
Eligible businesses include:
- Non-essential retail definition: a business that is open to the public and is used mainly or wholly for the purposes of retail sale or hire of goods or services, where the primary purpose of products or services provided are not necessary to the health and well-being of the public.
- Hospitality definition: a business whose main function is to provide a venue for the consumption and sale of food and drink
- Leisure definition: a business that provides opportunities, experiences and facilities, in particular for culture, recreation, entertainment, celebratory events, days and nights out, betting and gaming
- Accommodation definition: a business whose main lodging provision is used for holiday, travel, and other purposes.
- Gym & Sport definition: a commercial establishment where physical exercise or training is conducted on an individual basis or group basis, using exercise equipment or open floor space with or without instruction, or where individual and group sporting, athletic and physical activities are participated in competitively or recreationally.
- Personal care definition: a business which provides a service, treatment or activity for the purposes of personal beauty, hair, grooming, body care and aesthetics, and wellbeing.
For a full list of eligible businesses, please see here.
Ineligible businesses (not exhaustive):
Non-essential retail excludes:
- Food retailers, including food markets, supermarkets, convenience stores and corners shops
- Off licences
- Pharmacies and chemists
- Animal rescue centres and boarding facilities
- Building merchants
- Petrol stations
- Vehicle repair and MOT services
- Bicycle shops
- Taxi and vehicle hire businesses
- education providers including tutoring services.
- Banks, building societies and other financial providers
- Post offices
- Funeral directors
- Laundrettes and dry cleaners
- Medical practices
- Veterinary surgeries and pet shops
- Agricultural supply shops
- Garden centres
- Storage and distribution facilities
- Employment agencies and businesses
- Office buildings
- Automatic car washes
- Mobility support shops
- Estate/Letting Agents
- Food kiosks
- Businesses who main service is a ‘takeaway’
- All retail businesses
- Coach tour operators
- Tour operators
- Private dwellings
- Education accommodation
- Residential homes
- Care homes
- Residential family centres
- Beach huts
Gym & sports excludes:
- Home gyms
- Home exercise studios
- Home sports courts
- Home sports grounds
Personal care excludes:
- Businesses that only provide personal care goods, rather than services;
- Businesses used solely as training centres for staff, apprentices and others;
- Businesses providing dental services, opticians, audiology services, chiropody, chiropractors, osteopaths and other medical or health services, including services which incorporate personal care services, treatments required by those with disabilities and services relating to mental health.
How much will you receive:
One-off amount for non-essential retail premises (Strand one)
One-off amount for hospitality, accommodation, leisure, personal care and gym business premises (Strand two)
Rateable value of exactly £15,000 or below
Rateable value over £15,000 and less than £51,000
Rateable value of exactly £51,000 or over
The government will not accept deliberate manipulation and fraud.
Any business caught falsifying their records to gain additional grant money will face prosecution. Any funding issued will be recovered as may any grants paid in error.
The application closure date for this scheme is 30 June 2021 and final payments must be made by 31 July 2021.
This scheme is covered by 3 subsidy allowances
- Small Amounts of Financial Assistance Allowance – you’re allowed up to £335,000 (subject to exchange rates) over any period of 3 years
- COVID-19 Business Grant Allowance – you’re allowed up to £1,600,000
- COVID-19 Business Grant Special Allowance - if you have reached your limits under the Small Amounts of Financial Assistance Allowance and COVID-19 Business Grant Allowance, you may be able to access a further allowance of funding under these scheme rules of up to £9,000,000, provided certain conditions are met
Grants under these 3 allowances can be combined for a potential total allowance of up to £10,935,000 (subject to exchange rates).
You will need to notify us if you are in breach of the subsidy allowance by accepting any restart grants.
Further details are available on the government website regards these rules: GOV.UK complying with the UK’s International obligations on subsidy control.
Due to the significant changes in the new Restart Grant guidance provided to us by Government, additional pre-payment checks and data collection requirements, it is necessary for us to run a new online grant application process for this scheme.
Please ensure you answer all questions, otherwise your award will be delayed, this includes your VAT number, Company or Charity Registration Number or if you are a Sole Trader your National Insurance Number.
Please apply here
We are working as fast as possible to make these grants available, but it is likely that the earliest dates for payments will be early May. We would be grateful if you did not contact the team directly about these grants once your application has been submitted, unless absolutely necessary. All applications will be reviewed accordingly, you will be contacted if required. We will send a notification email advising you of our decision as soon as it is made.
For further information: GOV.UK check if you are eligible for a restart grant