Civil partners have the choice of a simple conversion or a conversion with a renewal of vows ceremony. The civil partnership must have been registered in England and Wales or overseas in a consulate or armed forces base, where the civil partnership was registered according to the laws of England and Wales.
All existing civil partners wishing to convert to a marriage, will have to pay a fee of £45 for a conversion, plus £11 for each certificate.
For a simple conversion, you'll need to:
- book an appointment, and both individuals must attend in person at the register office
- provide proof of identity and current address and your current civil partnership registration certificate.
You'll also have to sign a declaration to confirm that:
- you haven't dissolved your civil partnership
- both of you wish to convert your civil partnership.
The declaration must be signed at the register office.
Conversion and ceremony
To convert your civil partnership with a ceremony, you'll need to:
- book an appointment in person at a register office, and both individuals must attend in person
- provide proof of identity and your current address and civil partnership registration certificate.
The declaration will be signed, on a separate occasion, at an approved venue or religious building which has been registered for marriages of same sex.
A member of staff (superintendent or deputy registrar) from the Register Office will be required to attend the ceremony. The conversion will be registered with the Register Office and a marriage certificate issued.
If you're having a ceremony, you will need to pay ceremony fees plus the conversion fee of £45. There will be a fee of £11 for each certificate.
To book an appointment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request.
You'll need to provide the following information:
- First name and surname of the couples.
- When and where you registered your civil partnership.
- An email address.
- A contact number.
- If possible, indicate your preferred option of a conversion or conversion and ceremony.
We aim to get back in contact with you within five working days to arrange an appointment.