Being a registered childminder is a rewarding and responsible career with all the benefits of home-based working.
Childminders provide high-quality home-based childcare within their local community, and they promote learning through play, using the early years foundation stage curriculum (EYFS).
- look after one or more children under eight years old for more than a total of two hours a day in their own home for payment
- are inspected by Ofsted to ensure that they provide a safe and stimulating environment for the children that they care for
- are usually self-employed and run their own business.
Anyone wanting to become a childminder must complete training which helps them to understand and implement the requirements of the EYFS in a home-based setting before they can register with Ofsted.
The EYFS requires childcare providers to have sufficient understanding and use of English to ensure the wellbeing of children in their care, for example:
- to be able to read instructions on medication
- to be able to summon help in an emergency
- to be able to complete records and assessments in English
- to be able to share information.
To be allocated an officer to talk to you about the process and identify the next steps with you, please contact Kathryn Shaw (Lambeth’s Early Years quality improvement team leader) at KShaw2@lambeth.gov.uk.
Prospective childminders will need to be able to to speak, understand, read and write in English.
Please be aware that if anyone living or working on your premises has a criminal record it may prevent you from registering as a childminder. Ofsted will consider each case on an individual basis.
Complete the home-based childcare pre-registration course
This is a four-day course presented by our early years officers, and will:
- show you the requirements of the early years foundation stage (EYFS) and how to deliver them in a home-based setting.
- provide an overview of how to set up your childminding business
- support you through the Ofsted registration process.
It's also an excellent opportunity for you to network and study alongside other prospective childminders and home-based care providers. It will increase your knowledge of the EYFS statutory framework as required by Ofsted.
The cost for this course is £199 and includes a childminder pack of documents and a home visit for Lambeth childminders.
Complete the compulsory paediatric first aid training (minimum 12 hours)
The cost for this training is £70.
Complete compulsory safeguarding training
This is a free online training course, accessible during the four-day pre-registration course.
If you're seeking to become one of Lambeth’s thriving nurseries, preschools, breakfast or after-school clubs, and require information or support, email us at email@example.com. It is essential that you have a contact number and full address details of the premises which you intend on using to deliver a childcare service, before making contact.
Watch more about becoming a childminder in Lambeth: