Apply for a child employment licence

Use this guide to find relevant child employment and chaperone licences and permits.

Apply for a child work permit

If your child wishes to do paid work, you and your child's employer must apply to us for a work permit. It is illegal for a child to work without a work permit.

Note that working hours are limited and only certain types of work are allowed.

Who can use this service?

Children under the age of 13 cannot be employed.

Children aged 13 and over who are of statutory school age can be employed. A child is of statutory school age until the last Friday in June of the school year (1 September to 31 August) in which they reach the age of 16.

Before applying for a work permit, you should consider whether the child is suitable for the job. Please view the following documents:

You can also find guidance on the Health and Safety Executive website.

What you need to know...

You must inform Lambeth Child Employment Team within one week of the start of employment if you employ a school-aged child.

A child who works in a trade or occupation for profit is considered as employed, even if they receive no payment. This includes unpaid and voluntary employment outside school time.

Download and complete

Apply for a child work permit (PDF, 174KB)

Next steps

Please send the completed form to the Child Employment Team.

Once a work permit has been issued, you must keep it at the place of employment and produce it for inspection when required by an authorised officer from the council or a police officer.