Information we need to register a death
The doctor who treated the person during their last illness will usually issue a medical certificate of the cause of death.
To register a death and to start funeral arrangements, it is essential that you bring the medical certificate of death with you.
You will need to provide us with the following information. If you have documents to support this evidence, they will be needed when you book your telephone appointment and when we call you to make the registration:
- The date and place of the death.
- The deceased's first and last name (and the maiden last name, if the deceased was a woman who had married or formed a civil partnership).
- The deceased's date and place of birth (state their town and county if they were born in the UK, and only state their country if they were born abroad).
- The deceased's occupation and the name and occupation of any spouse or civil partner.
- The deceased's last address.
- Whether the deceased was getting a pension or allowance from public funds.
- The date of birth of any surviving partner.