One of London's 'Magnificent Seven' cemeteries. West Norwood Cemetery has the privilege of historic monuments, catacombs, cremation plots and a columbarium within the crematorium.
Construction on site
To maintain safe conditions for staff, contractors and visitors, there will be some areas which will be restricted for access over the construction period. We continue to ensure funeral services within the cemetery will continue in an efficient manner. There will be continued vehicle access to the crematorium.
West Norwood Cemetery originally opened in 1837 with the later addition of the crematorium on site in 1915.
The cemetery was one of the first Victorian cemeteries to open in London and is home to over 65 listed monuments. First known as the South Metropolitan Cemetery when it first opened, Lambeth Council took over management of the site in 1965.
West Norwood Cemetery is currently closed to new grave burials.
We regret that we can longer offer cremation burial plots at West Norwood but these can be purchased at Lambeth Cemetery.
FOWNC aims to increase knowledge and appreciation of West Norwood Cemetery.
West Norwood Cemetery has held the Green Flag status since 2016.
The database holds details of reused graves in West Norwood Cemetery.
Visitor access hours
November to March
Weekends and bank holidays: 10.00am-4.00pm
Christmas Day: 10.00am-2.30pm
April to October
Weekends and bank holidays: 10.00am-6.00pm
Cemetery offices - currently closed to walk ins.
(Closed weekends and bank holidays)
How to get here
West Norwood Cemetery and Crematorium
Buses: 2, 68, 196, 315, 322, 432 and 468
Train: West Norwood