Universal Credit

Universal Credit replaces six other benefits with a single monthly payment if you’re out of work or on a low income. Most people now need to apply for this instead of Housing Benefit.

Should I apply for Universal Credit or Housing Benefit?

You should apply Housing Benefit if any of the following are true:

  • you are single and of pension age
  • you are a couple and both of you are of pension age
  • you live in a temporary accommodation
  • you live in a specified/supported accommodation

If you live in specified accommodation, two condition must be met:

  1. your landlord needs to be either a charity, housing association, voluntary or not for profit organisation or county council (Lambeth is not a county council)
  2. you must be receiving care, support and supervision.

If you don’t meet any of the criteria above you should apply for Universal Credit.