Emergency Support Scheme (ESS)

Lambeth’s Emergency Support Scheme (ESS) can help if you’re a resident facing a crisis, emergency or disaster that needs help.

Who can’t use this scheme

You can't apply if you:

  • have received an award of crisis support under the ESS within the past six months
  • have received a Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) Budgeting Loan or Community Care Grant for the same items requested in the past 12 months
  • have received an award of Community Care Support from the ESS within the past 12 months
  • are seeking support for an excluded item
  • are an excluded person, such as a person in a hospital, care home or prison, unless you are about to be discharged in the next two weeks
  • have failed to pay a previous loan from the ESS paid through the Credit Union
  • are eligible for a short-term benefits advance or hardship payment from the DWP
  • have received a Care Leaver’s Grant or Section 17 grant for the same items with the last 6 months for a crisis, or 12 months for a community care need
  • are subject to immigration control and are not claiming a qualifying benefit - people subject to immigration control can only claim crisis support in a disaster situation.