Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP)

Apply for more financial help with your housing costs.

Who can claim this Payment

You can claim a DHP if:

  • you receive Housing Benefit but not the full amount - for example, if there is a gap between the benefit you get and the rent you pay, maybe because of somebody who is living with you, or the benefits cap
  • you need extra help to pay your rent
  • you are getting Universal Credit and need help to pay your rent.

We will assess each claim individually. In all cases, you must explain the reasons why you feel you need DHP.

Detail the problems or difficulties your illness or disability causes and why a DHP might help. For example, if you are ill you may need a special diet that is expensive. Tell us how much extra money you spend on the special diet. Send us as much proof as you can, such as a letter from your doctor and receipts for special purchases.

If you have been affected by the removal of the Spare Room Subsidy you may need to demonstrate you are working with your landlord to move to a suitable sized home, or tell us reasons why you can’t move to a smaller home.

We may also take into account:

  • your income
  • your outgoings
  • your rent
  • the people who live with you
  • your health.