Help to quit
When trying to quit, you're four times more likely to succeed with treatment which combines behavioural support and medication than if you were to ‘go it alone’. Thankfully, there is lots of support available for Lambeth smokers who want to quit.
Stop Smoking London
For tips and support, visit Stop Smoking London's useful Time to Quit portal.
You can also call their helpline for access to good quality, free specialist advice on how to stop smoking. Lines are open Monday-Friday, 9.00am-8.00pm and Saturday and Sunday 11.00am-4.00pm.
- Phone: 0300 123 0144
Local pharmacy service
Participating pharmacies offer face-to-face or remote support as well as nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) or medication. You'll be able to access free one-to-one support during the first six weeks of your journey to become smoke-free, along with up to 12 weeks' worth of NRT supply and Champix.
Lambeth Stop Smoking service
You can refer yourself to the specialist Stop Smoking service if you are from one of the 'at-risk' groups below:
- Diagnosed with one or more long-term conditions, including mental illness.
- Pregnant women and their partners.
- Parents with children aged five or under.
- Smokers considered to be complicated cases, such as chronic smokers.
Contact Lambeth Stop Smoking service
For more information, visit the Stop Smoking service web page.
During your initial appointment, your Stop Smoking specialist will take you through the stages of stopping, including preparing to stop, actually stopping and staying stopped.
You'll have a minimum of six weeks' free one-to-one behavioural support in your journey to become smoke-free. Your specialist will help and support you in your choice and use of Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) or Champix medication. You can access this service face to face or remotely. Group support is also available.
North Lambeth Stop Smoking clinic
North Lambeth Primary Care Network (PCN) is now running Stop Smoking clinics for patients who meet the criteria for the specialist Stop Smoking service listed above. You will need to be registered at any of the following practices:
- Hurley and Riverside Practices.
- Lambeth Walk Group Practice.
- Mawbey Group Practice.
- South Lambeth Road Practice.
- Vauxhall Surgery.
- Waterloo Health Centre.
Three clinics are currently run:
- Hurley Clinic on Wednesdays, 10.00am-4.30pm.
- Riverside Medical Centre on Wednesdays, 2.00pm-4.00pm.
- Mawbey Brough Health Centre on Thursdays, 10.00am-1.00pm.
Please ask your GP, nurse or healthcare assistant to refer you, or call the Lambeth Stop Smoking Service using the details above.
It often takes more than one attempt to quit smoking. The good news is that research tells us that combining methods makes you more likely to succeed, even if you choose to go it alone.
- NHS Better Health has advice about how to stop smoking.
- NHS Smoke Free has information and advice about using e-cigarettes (vapes).
- Stop Smoking London has useful tools and resources.
You can find out more in our useful leaflet: