NHS Health Checks
We know that our risk of developing preventable problems like heart disease, a stroke, type 2 diabetes, kidney disease or dementia increases with age.
Health checks are all about diagnosing these problems as early as possible and encouraging those at a higher-risk to take action.
Remember, the average health check only takes 20-30 minutes, but it could save your life.
Who can have a free health check?
If you are a Lambeth resident and/or are registered with a Lambeth GP and you meet the criteria below, then you can have an NHS health check at any time. You must:
- be between 40-75 years old
- have not already been diagnosed with heart disease, diabetes, kidney disease, or had a stroke
- have not had an NHS health check in the last five years.
What happens at a health check?
At an NHS health check we will:
- record your height, weight and waist size
- do quick and simple blood tests to check cholesterol and blood sugar levels
- ask some questions about your family history and lifestyle habits.
Why do I need a health check?
Your risk of developing heart disease, a stroke, type 2 diabetes and kidney disease increases with age. This is why we want to emphasise to absolutely everyone aged 40-74 how important it is to have a health check.
Health checks are free and we will work with you to lower your chances of developing dangerous health problems in the future. It doesn't matter if you feel well, it is worth having a health check just to be sure.
At each health check, specialists will recommend some steps that can be taken by you to maintain or improve your health.