Visual impairment

Whatever your type of sight impairment, there may be devices and support available to help you keep your independence.

Sight issues can come in many different forms. Some people are born with them, while others might lose all, or some, of their sight due to various conditions or accidents. 

Checking your vision

If you have any worries about your sight or eye health, visit your optician.

Your optician may decide to refer you on to your GP or a specialist NHS service for further tests. This may be an ophthalmology department or eye clinic.

They will be able to tell you about your eye health in more detail, the nature of any vision loss and whether it is permanent. If further treatment is required, they will refer you on.

Once your ophthalmologist or eye clinic has confirmed that your eye condition is permanent, they will provide you with a Certificate of Visual Impairment (CVI).

A copy of this will also be sent to our sensory team.

You can also contact the sensory team yourself:

Lambeth Sensory Team

Once the team receive your CVI, a member of staff will contact you to offer you an assessment.

This assessment will look at how your visual impairment affects your day-to-day life.

The assessment will be undertaken by a rehabilitation officer for visual impairment. They will discuss with you the different ways and equipment that may help you live more independently, such as:

  • how to manage daily tasks
  • reading correspondence
  • finding your way around.

The sensory team can also provide you with advice and information, and give you contacts for local support groups.

Information can be provided in a range of formats to support your needs, including large print and Braille.

If you would like to request information in another format, please contact using the details above.

Digital technology support group

The digital technology support group meets every Tuesday morning at South Lambeth Tate Library.

To access this service, email Roger Lewis at or call or text to 078 6018 1330.